I was reading in this study guide about the concept of Jesus being "The Truth" and how sometimes people don't want to accept the truth. They will look away and not listen when it is presented to them. The author then hits me with this clever line: "The truth can be as bright light to sore eyes."
And all of a sudden I think: Wait a minute! Does that mean when someone says "You're a sight for sore eyes" that I'm something they can't bear to look at?! Have I been misunderstanding this phrase my whole life? Was that a disguised INSULT this whole time??!!
Well, before I got too worked up about it I dropped everything and took time out of my incredibly busy day to search the internet for the answer to this thought-provoking yet puzzling predicament I was pondering. Here is what I discovered:
The "sore eyes" in the phrase "sight for sore eyes" refers to eyes that have been worrying, stressing and crying over someone's absence and are happy to see them now that they have appeared safe and sound.
The "sore eyes" that can't bear the presence of the bright light of truth have probably been up all night drinking, smoking things and disobeying laws, and are waking up in the city jail feeling not so happy about it. They probably don't wanna hear any loud music either for a while.
Anyway....that was kinda bugging me so I thought I would clear it up. I should strive to be a bright light of truth, and not a sore sight in the eyes of God, but a sight for sore eyes is okay when a loved one has been concerned about me. I should maybe give 'em a call once in a while to let them know I'm not dead or in trouble again.

No comments:
Post a Comment